Champion Petfoods is looking for an experienced, career-oriented individual to fill the open position of Fresh Meat Operator.
The position Fresh Meat Operator (FMO) has primary responsibility for following an established fresh meat formula to mix fresh ingredients to be blended with dry ingredient and made into kibble. This position operates a forklift to dump a certain percentage of fresh ingredients into the Cozzini Blending equipment, and is responsible for the accurate completion of paperwork and the accurate utilization of our ERP system to manage fresh inventory while accurately following the established formula.
The FMO is responsible for the following tasks:
- Follow an established formula for fresh ingredients, as written on formula sheets.
- Operate a forklift in a safe manner to move fresh ingredients to the Cozzini Blending equipment.
- Follow consistent batching processes to ensure a constant flow of blended fresh material to the extrusion line.
- Complete and process all required paperwork according to established departmental policies and practices.
- Utilize our ERP system to issue, document, and inventory all relatable items in the Fresh Material/Production department.
- Participate in set-up and tear-down sanitation processes.
- Participate in annual physical inventory as determined by the Company.
- Ensure the cleanliness of work areas is maintained according to established timelines and procedures, and in accordance with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, and health and safety regulations.
- Commit to personal compliance with the Company’s policies, practices, and procedures related to health and safety, food safety, and the environment.
Reporting to the Production Team Leader and Shift Supervisor, the FMO works out of our production facility located in Morinville, Alberta. The position requires:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Forklift training and/or certification, with demonstrated ability to safety operate a forklift.
- Minimum three years’ experience operating a forklift.
- Experience with food processing and/or blending equipment.
- Strong basic mathematical skills, with ability to accurately weigh and measure items.
- Strong sense of logic and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail in all areas of work, in particular with ensuring accurate completion of formulas.
- Good organizational abilities, including planning, prioritizing, and executing tasks.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Ability to accurately complete required paperwork.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work successfully both independently and as part of a team.
- Basic good physical fitness with ability to lift heavy loads, while adhering to safe lifting procedures.
Working conditions are within a pet food production environment, with exposure to dust, noise, odours, and fluctuating temperatures. This position works in a cool and wet environment. Standing for extended periods of time and heavy lifting up to 25 kg may be required. Shift work is required, working a 4-on/4-off 12-hour compressed work week, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., rotating every 2 4-day cycles; overtime may be required. Overtime, evening premium, and weekend premium rates apply, based on Company policy.
Champion Petfoods LP offers a comprehensive compensation program, including:
- Competitive hourly wage; starting rate is $18.00 / hr.
- Shift premiums for working evening shift and weekend shift.
- Group benefits after a three-month waiting period, offering a Health Care Spending Account, Drug Card, and Lifestyle Account after one year of continuous employment.
- Employee Assistance Program, offered to employees right from their date of hire at no cost to the employee.
- RRSP/DPSP, eligible to employees after three months of continuous employment; Champion Petfoods will match 3% on an annual basis, up to a maximum of $4,000.
- Annual bonus incentive program, based on performance, target percentage fluctuate on an annual basis.
- Accrual of three weeks’ vacation after one year of continuous employment.
- Forty-eight hours of discretionary time, for employees who need to take a sick day or have an appointment scheduled.
- Half-price pet food for employees’ own pets, and one free bag of cat or dog food per month once the employee completes three months of continuous employment.
Makers of Biologically Appropriate dog and cat food, made from Fresh Regional Ingredients, and Never Outsourced! Our BA.FRI.NO Mission is our way of life. Champion Petfoods is a world-renowned company known for making a quality product, shipping to over 70 countries around the world. We offer a stable and dynamic work environment, with excellent opportunities for career advancement for employees who have what it takes.
Champion Petfoods started as a family run organization in 1985, and to this day we retain many of those family-oriented values. We are a team, working together to enhance the lives of dogs and cats everywhere.