The Innovation Process Engineer works with the Business Development, and Research and Innovation teams to continually search for and develop new and innovative processes that enhance the company’s product offerings, and prepare the company for expansion into new product categories. The ideal candidate is expected to pro-actively identify where processes can be adapted and optimized to enhance the current product offerings as well as to identify and create new possible processes for new product development. This role will be integral to new business development and prepare initial process designs for future capital build projects. The primary focus of this position will be process investigation, and leading and supporting business development initiatives. This role supports company initiatives to achieve goals and objectives set by our BAFRINO mandate and the Champion Petfoods vision “to be trusted by pet lovers worldwide.” This position will report directly to the Executive Vice President, Business Development & Innovation but will also function as a technical resource role that may be called upon by Capital Projects team, the Dogstar Kitchen, the NorthStar Kitchen, corporate office or various departments and/or peers across the organization.
Posted On: Tue Mar 07, 2017
Location: Morinville, Alberta, Canada
Careers at Champion Petfoods
Innovation Process Engineer
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Investigate process design as it relates to improving or innovating our existing production processes. Work with other groups in the Research and Innovation team to identify and solve challenges with innovating products in our current portfolio.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of our existing process equipment in all locations.
- Provide technical assistance and support to rest of Business Development, and Research and Innovation teams.
- Develop initial process design concepts for innovative changes to existing process infrastructure as well as create initial process design possibilities for future new business production processes.
- Investigate, develop, and design innovative custom solutions to processing challenges to enhance our product offerings.
- Complete process investigations and analysis to contribute to the development of business cases to evaluate future business opportunities.
- Participate as a Subject Matter Expert for capital build projects on behalf of Research and Innovation, and Business Development teams.
- Helps to define risk categories and ensures appropriate prioritization for optimization/innovation projects.
- Working in conjunction with the Food Science Manager, evaluate and recommend appropriate processes to advance our BAFRINO mandate.
- Evaluate machinery and innovation processes presented by third parties for possible implementation and/or adaptation to the Champion production process.
- Create innovative ways to display our unique processes and process philosophy for customer sensory experiences such as small replica demonstration lines for trade shows.
- Produce engineering calculations to support business case development.
- Work closely with commissioning teams to ensure new processes installed meet required objectives.
- Communicate with vendors, suppliers and technical representatives to evaluate machinery suitability for existing and new processes, as well as to solve problems.
- Creation of process flow charts to support Business Development.
- Think outside the box to identify, develop, and possibly coordinate the build of future innovative processes.
- Perform other tasks, as assigned.
Education and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Food Process preferred).
- Seven to ten years of experience across one or more industries.
- Design and project management experience in the Food and Beverage industry (meat or fresh food processing is an asset).
- Possesses practical working knowledge of the following:
- Mass Balance Calculations
- Capacity Usage Studies
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Yield Optimization
- Waste Reduction
- Familiarity with evaluation, functionality, and sanitary design and implementation of equipment.
- Experience with process technology documentation, including process flow sheets, piping and instrumentation diagrams, process control strategies, and process specifications.
- Experience with process technology including extrusion, mixing and blending, flow control, steam/condensate and refrigeration systems, nitrogen/CO2 cooling/freezing methods and equipment, and CIP systems.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Demonstrated strong leadership (Interpersonal, Team, and Organizational) and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of good manufacturing processes (GMPs), Food Safety, HACCP, Quality Control parameters and SQF/FSMA requirements.
- Ability to set priorities, utilize and coordinate resources, and manage projects from start to finish with little or no supervision.
- Ability to effectively work on a team, both as a leader and member.
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, primarily Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Proficiency in AutoCAD is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Well-developed analytical skills, with the ability to solve problems, interpret information and take appropriate action.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to develop positive working relationships both internally and externally.
- The ability to produce succinct reports/presentations to communicate status of assigned projects/tasks.
- Travel to off-site locations may be required.
- Ability to think outside the box and provide innovative solutions to complex problems.
To apply for this position, click the link: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=15559791.