Champion Petfoods LP is looking for a knowledgeable, career-oriented individual to fill the position of Maintenance Journeyman Millwright.
The position of Journeyman Millwright is responsible for installing, troubleshooting, maintaining, and repairing production-related equipment in the Company’s pet food production facility in Morinville, AB. This position is required to interpret blueprints, diagrams, schematics and drawings to determine work procedures, and must be able to perform basic level welding, brazing, flame cutting and electric arc welding. The Journeyman Millwright is also responsible for ensuring equipment modifications are properly conducted in order to minimize risk of cross-contamination and ensure product quality and safety.
The Journeyman Millwright is responsible for the following tasks:
- Repair and maintain, in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operation manuals, and manufacturer's specifications, machinery and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines and equipment, using hand tools, power tools, and precision-measuring and testing instruments.
- Troubleshooting and repair of high speed packaging equipment such as fillers, palletizers, wrappers as well as process piping, blowers, augers, drag conveyors and hammermills.
- Perform department PMs, including but not limited to, cleaning, lubricating and completing other routine maintenance work.
- Provide emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and perform scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment as directed.
- Perform mechanic skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and troubleshooting and repair of production machines.
- Efficiently set up, inspect, and shut down production-related equipment when required to do so.
- Competently operate and monitor any mechanical controls on equipment.
- Adjust functional parts of devices and control instruments, using hand tools, levels, plumb bobs, and straightedges.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Keep detailed and accurate maintenance reports and documentation.
- Comply with all safety training and departmental SOPs, and with all regulations relating to equipment and chemical approvals for a food manufacturing facility.
- Participate in departmental housekeeping practices, i.e. keeping the maintenance shop and surrounding area clean, as well as metal rack, outside scrap bins, and the welding station, and participate in dismantling and assembling equipment and machines for deep cleaning purposes.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant industry technologies and codes.
- Develop and demonstrate awareness and understanding of corporate policies, practices and procedures regarding health and safety and the environment and commit to personal compliance with same.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Journeyman Millwright works out of our production facility located in Morinville, Alberta. The position requires:
- Journeyman Millwright certification.
- Minimum seven years’ related work experience in an automated manufacturing environment, creating opportunity to develop solid technical knowledge and understanding of conveyors, industrial/stationary engines, pumps, compressors, grinders, welding equipment, power tools, fans/blowers, hydraulic systems, and high speed packaging equipment.
- Familiarity with process steam systems; 5th or 4th Class Power Engineer certification an asset, or willingness to attain the certification.
- Good organizational abilities, including planning and execution skills, with attention to detail in all areas of work.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, and good interpersonal skills that create ability to work successfully with diverse groups within a team environment.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
Working conditions are within a pet food production environment, with exposure to dust, noise, odours, and fluctuating temperatures. Standing for extended periods of time and heavy lifting up to 25 kg may be required. This position is also required to work at heights; fall arrest training is provided by the company. Shift work is mandatory for this position, working a compressed work week of 4-on/4-off 12-hour shifts, rotating between day shift and night shift every 4-day cycle, and overtime may be required. Overtime, evening premium, and weekend premium rates apply.
Champion Petfoods LP offers a comprehensive compensation program, including:
- Competitive hourly wage; starting rate is $38.00 / hr.
- Group benefits after a three-month waiting period, offering a Health Care Spending Account, Drug Card, and Lifestyle Account after one year of continuous employment.
- Employee Assistance Program, offered to employees right from their date of hire at no cost to the employee.
- RRSP/DPSP, eligible to employees after three months of continuous employment; Champion Petfoods will match 3% on an annual basis, up to a maximum of $4,000.
- Annual bonus incentive program, based on performance, target percentage fluctuate on an annual basis.
- Accrual of three weeks’ vacation after one year of continuous employment.
- Forty-eight hours of discretionary time, for employees who need to take a sick day or have an appointment scheduled.
- Half-price pet food for employees’ own pets, and one free bag of cat or dog food per month once the employee completes three months of continuous employment.
Makers of Biologically Appropriate dog and cat food, made from Fresh Regional Ingredients, and Never Outsourced! Our BA.FRI.NO Mission is our way of life. Champion Petfoods is a world-renowned company known for making a quality product, shipping to over 70 countries around the world. We offer a stable and dynamic work environment, with excellent opportunities for career advancement for employees who have what it takes.
Champion Petfoods started as a family run organization in 1985, and to this day we retain many of those family-oriented values. We are a team, working together to enhance the lives of dogs and cats everywhere.