Champion Petfoods LP is looking for an experienced, analytical, and professional individual to fill the position of Manufacturing Automation Technician.
The Manufacturing Automation Technician will be responsible for repairing, maintaining, calibrating, adjusting, and installing all aspects of our manufacturing control systems. This position will be expected to work in a team environment and work with operators, supervisors, and management in order to improve processes, locate and eliminate inefficiencies, and to continually validate functional controls and accuracy of data gathered at the manufacturing level. The Manufacturing Automation Technician works out of our Morinville Kitchens, and reports to the Supervisor, Maintenance.
The Manufacturing Automation Technician is responsible for the following tasks:
- Consult manufacturer's manuals, circuit diagrams, and blueprints to determine tests and maintenance procedures for instruments used for measuring and controlling flow, level, pressure, temperature, chemical composition, and other variables in manufacturing and processing.
- Inspect and test operation of instruments and systems to diagnose faults using pneumatic, electrical, and electronic testing devices and precision measuring instruments.
- Repair and adjust system components, such as sensors, transmitters, and programmable logic controllers, or remove and replace defective parts.
- Calibrate components and instruments according to manufacturers' specifications.
- Perform scheduled preventive maintenance work and complete test and maintenance reports.
- Install control and measurement instruments on existing and new plant equipment and processes.
- Consult with and advise process operators.
- Ensures that the required maintenance activities are completed in a manner that promotes safety as the first priority.
- Provide proactive safety and environmental leadership by example.
- Foster a spirit of cooperation between operators, trades, and technical staff to achieve Utility Area and overall goals.
- Assists in the development of the Instrumentation Maintenance Philosophy and Maintenance Procedures.
- Assess and input into the automation and electrical spare parts requirements for the area on an ongoing basis.
- Plan daily and long-term automation /control maintenance activities, including priority setting in consultation with operations, maintenance, and technical input.
- Execute automation maintenance activities and stay current with applicable governmental regulations, which may affect automation Maintenance Procedures.
- Assist in the development of the Electrical Maintenance Philosophy and Maintenance Procedures.
- Assess and provide input for electrical spare parts requirements for the area on an ongoing basis.
- Encourage participation from operations, technical staff, and maintenance staff in developing innovative solutions to problems.
This position requires the following knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Red Seal Journeyman Electrician, Red Seal Journeyman Instrumentation Technician, Electronics Engineering Technologist, Instrumentation Engineering Technologist or Electrical Engineering Technologist certification.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant manufacturing work experience.
- Intimate knowledge of Rockwell ControLogix and SLC500 PLCs, Panelviews and associated control and configuration software.
- Excellent knowledge of industrial IT architecture and methodologies.
- Strong management, delegation, planning and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of local, provincial, and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances, and legislation.
- Able to create alternative solutions to problems.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise necessary cost control measures.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing, with strong comprehension and communication of detailed instructions,
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Strong problem solving skills, and able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) and E-mail.
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered an asset.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
- Ability to maintain organization of maintenance schedule and files in a changing environment.
- Exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership.
The working environment is in a pet food production facility, with exposure to dust, noise, odours, and/or fluctuating temperatures. Hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Overtime may be required. This position must be able to physically inspect company equipment, property and assets, and is regularly required to work at heights, with fall arrest training provided by the company. Heavy lifting is required up to 75 lbs, and manual dexterity is required to perform repairs on various types of equipment and for occasional computer use.
Champion Petfoods LP offers a comprehensive compensation program, including:
- Competitive salary.
- Group benefits after a three-month waiting period, offering a Health Care Spending Account, Drug Card, and Lifestyle Account after one year of continuous employment.
- Employee Assistance Program, offered to employees right from their date of hire at no cost to the employee.
- RRSP/DPSP, eligible to employees after three months of continuous employment; Champion Petfoods will match 3% on an annual basis, up to a maximum of $4,000.
- Annual bonus incentive program, based on performance, target percentage fluctuate on an annual basis.
- Accrual of three weeks’ vacation after one year of continuous employment.
- Forty-eight hours of discretionary time, for employees who need to take a sick day or have an appointment scheduled.
- Half-price pet food for employees’ own pets, and one free bag of cat or dog food per month once the employee completes three months of continuous employment.
Makers of Biologically Appropriate dog and cat food, made from Fresh Regional Ingredients, and Never Outsourced! Our BA.FRI.NO Mission is our way of life. Champion Petfoods is a world-renowned company known for making a quality product, shipping to over 70 countries around the world. We offer a stable and dynamic work environment, with excellent opportunities for career advancement for employees who have what it takes.
Champion Petfoods started as a family run organization in 1985, and to this day we retain many of those family-oriented values. We are a team, working together to enhance the lives of dogs and cats everywhere.