The Processing Engineer works with the Kitchen Team to continually optimize and improve the dry food production and Freeze Dry processes. The candidate will support and lead existing projects and identify, prioritize and lead future projects to optimize personnel safety, food safety, and process effectiveness and efficiency. The primary focus of this position will be project management of process equipment installation, coordination, optimization as well as continuous improvement initiatives. Supports company initiatives to achieve goals and objectives set by our BAFRINO mandate and the Champion Petfoods vision “to be trusted by pet lovers worldwide.”
This position will report directly to the Kitchen Manager but will also function as a technical resource role that may be called upon by the Morinville kitchen, corporate office or various departments and/or peers across the organization.
- Familiarity with evaluation, functionality, and sanitary design and implementation of equipment.
- Experience with process technology documentation, including process flow sheets, piping and instrumentation diagrams, process control strategies, and process specifications.
- Experience with process technology including extrusion, mixing and blending, flow control, steam/condensate and refrigeration systems, Nitrogen/CO2 cooling/freezing methods and equipment, and CIP systems.
- Experience with Allen Bradley PLC is required.
- Support maintenance across the facility with process improvement, cost reduction, equipment evaluation, redesign, upgrade and installation, area layout and material flows.
- Possesses practical working knowledge of the following:
Mass Balance Calculations
Capacity Usage Studies
Statistical Process Control (SPC)
Project Management Fundamentals
- Provides technical assistance and support as required.
- Helps to define risk categories and ensures appropriate prioritization.
- Assists with 3rd party and regulatory audits as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.