The Product Development Assistant works with the Manager, Product Development and Performance and the Lead, Product Development to ensure the goals of the department are met. This position has accountability for the support of efficient and timely launches of new products, development of products that meet or exceed product performance goals and development and validation of scientifically proven diets for dogs and cats. Product Development Assistant participates in all areas of product development including test runs, application, as well as nutritional and performance studies. The Product Development Assistant works out of our Morinville Administration Building and Research Lab, and reports directly to the Lead, Product Development with an indirect report to the Manager, Product Development & Performance.
Posted On: Tue Dec 06, 2016
Location: Morinville, Alberta Canada
Careers at Champion Petfoods
Product Development Assistant
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help prepare and send ingredients for test runs and kibble in the pilot plant for third party testing
- Collect and send finished product to 3rd party labs for regulatory testing, as per Regulatory Department needs
- Efficiently receive 3rd party data and organize, including data entry as required
- Participate in the research and development of ideas for new product development projects that are in alignment with the Company’s mission and values.
- Participate in all activities related to product development, including formula test runs and performance testing
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of kibble cooking techniques and the function of production equipment & machinery.
- Assist the Food Science Manager in testing new ideas using pilot scale equipment
- Aid in the development of departmental standards, practices, and procedures that comply with all relevant regulatory requirements and with corporate policies, practices, and procedures.
- Accurately and securely maintain and store all records of test results, projects, and other intellectual property.
- Demonstration of knowledge of the Company’s policies and practices regarding health, safety and the environment, including commitment to personal compliance with same.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Education and Requirements:
- Minimum of a 2 year college diploma in a related field (Science, Engineering, etc.).
- A fundamental understanding of mathematics, and the ability to perform unit conversions and calculations
- Knowledge of current product lines and of quality and performance issues related to products is an asset.
- Experience in interacting with other individuals and working with a team, demonstrating diplomacy and professionalism at all times.
- Detail-oriented, with a good ability to review documentation for accuracy, completeness, and compliance to SOPs and GMP.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with the ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Uses discretion and judgment in handling confidential, proprietary or sensitive information.
- Able to work effectively independently or within a group.
- Passion to learn, develop, and implement new technologies and methods.
- Computer proficiency with MS Office programs.
- Work encompasses both an office and a pet food production environment, with exposure to dust, noise, odours, and/or fluctuating temperatures.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 25kgs using correct and safe lifting technique.
- Ability to work shifts at cold temperatures (<4°C)
- PPE may be required for some locations where this position is regularly required to work.
- Must be able to physically inspect company property and assets.
- Some extended hours of work may be required.
Makers of Biologically Appropriate dog and cat food, made from Fresh Regional Ingredients, and Never Outsourced! Our BA.FRI.NO Mission is our way of life. Champion Petfoods is a world-renowned company known for making a quality product, shipping to over 70 countries around the world. We offer a stable and dynamic work environment, with excellent opportunities for career advancement for employees who have what it takes.
Champion Petfoods values our employees' health and safety and will be conducting Alcohol/Drug Testing as well as Criminal Background Checks.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com.